Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Welcome to Small Town Atlantic Canada. Population: 473



I'm a city boy.

I grew up mostly at my Nan's in the 'hood'.

While Ice Cube and Mack 10 weren't my neighbors, "The Pubs" in Halifax is about as ghetto as you get. My early lessons in economics involved watching people sell drugs across the street at 'the well'. It's rather mind boggling now that the police would just drive by and not really do anything about it. Maybe it was an early, ahead of its time Hamsterdamn(from The Wire)?



It's so weird to see that place without a swarm of tough, angry looking folks milling around-but then it appears to be relatively early in the day and you know...those folk tend to like to sleep in.

Annnnnnyway.

Growing up, hood, Nan's place...yada yada.

Mom worked, so Nan/Pop watched me. They are/were more like a second set of parents than grandparents. The end of elementary school came though and I announced, being all grown up at the age of 12 or so of course that I no longer needed to go to my Grandparents every day, and that I would be staying home and attending school in Fairview, where we lived.

Fairview to me was not ghetto in the least, I mean...people from Fairview were scared of the pubs. Turns out people that didn't live in Fairview thought it was as ghetto as the pubs! Ha! I lived there on Sunnybrae with mom for ohhh 23 years, till I eventually moved out with my Fiancee(at the time-Wife now). But we stayed in Fairview. :)


THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED.

We moved into a house near the community she grew up in. I was instantly in love with not being in the city. No noise, rarely any sirens. Can't reach out your bathroom window and high 5 your neighbor and just so many other things about not living in the city rock.

Sadly, life isn't always on your side-and we ended up moving back into the city again in less than a year. Then a few more years past and we found ourselves in the middle of downtown Charlottetown, PE! :) Love it here, hate where we live. We moved here to be close to the Wife's school. Now she's done there so....we're SO outta here!

Found a little slice of paradise in our rental price range just outside of Charlottetown! Even though it's a further drive KM wise, it's a faster trip because we don't have to deal with traffic going across town. We signed the Lease yesterday, and can start moving our stuff in Wed. :)

I can't wait to be outta here, where we're embarrased to have friends or family come visit us-and no real room for them anyway. It wasn't so bad here when we moved in, but the building changed owners and well...new guy let it go to crap. More on that in another blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment