Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hey, Beavis. Pull my finger!



Beavis and Butt-head’ Are Back!?!?!?!

from fancast.com :

by Tracy Phillips
Jul 14th, 2010


"Deadbeats, slackers and misfits rejoice! ‘Beavis and Butt-head‘ are making a comeback… “Heh Heh.”

MTV plans to resurrect the pop-culturally iconic ’90s cartoon with a modern update, reports the New York Post.

The move is reportedly one step in MTV’s new strategic plan to return to its original format–showing music videos. The network has been criticized for years for losing its identity after a programming slate dominated by non-music related reality shows, like the recently departed ‘The Hills’ and ‘Jersey Shore,’ took over the airwaves.

The new Beavis and Butt-head would remain as we knew them, perpetual high-schoolers, according to the Post, “but it would be updated so that the pals — who obsessively watch music videos on a battered TV set — could lob their snarky comments at more current targets like Lady Gaga.”

Created by Mike Judge (’King of the Hill’), the animated series premiered on MTV in 1993 and ran until 1997.

The dumb-and-dumber dudes also made the leap to the big screen in 1996 for the movie ‘Beavis and Butt-head Do America.’

Are you excited for the return of ‘Beavis and Butt-head’? Or is this a move in the wrong direction for MTV?"

link=HERE



Wow. I didn't see that one coming. My friends and I used to watch the show religiously every weekend on MuchMusic growing up, and even bought some of the VHS tapes(vhs!)at musicworld. Problem is, it's like a lot of things from your childhood/adolescence...it's WAY better left as a fond memory. A couple years back I saw a link on youtube for some Beavis and Butthead episodes. I was happy and clicked with a big grin thinking it would be awesome to see some of the old episodes we laughed so hard at.

I was wrong. Very wrong.

It wasn't as funny as I remembered at all, actually it was just pretty bad. Watching those few links on youtube killed most of the fun memories I had of watching the show.

The question for me is, will this be more of the same? I've read they're leaving the basic premise of the show the same but updating the music videos featured. Will Judge re-hash all the old not-so-funny-now-that-we're-not-14 'jokes'? Or will the humor get an update as well?

While I'm hoping for the latter, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment